Monday, October 02, 2006

Current Reading

Finally I finished "Daughter of Fortune" during Milenyo. It was indeed a satisfying read although I've read better ones from other Isabel Allende books. Nonetheless, I'm still getting a copy of the sequel, "A Portrait in Sepia", just see how the rest of the story unfolds.


I was also reading "Bel Canto" by Ann Patchett by candlelight. I was so amazed by the humanity of the book's plot, which is about hostages marooned inside the house of the Vice President of an unnamed South American country. The hostages were attending a birthday bash in which famous opera singer, Roxanne Coss, was to sing. What unfolded instead were a series of relationships among and between hostages and captors.


I'm currently reading "Young Man from the Provinces: A Gay Life Before Stonewall" by Alan Helms. It's a very intriguing autobiography of a gay person in the 1950s and 1960s. It accounts the character's ascent from living in a house in Indianapolis mired in domestic violence to his glory days as the toast of the gay society in New York. It's a nice addition to my growing collection of gay novels.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin