Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Let's Overact

Finally I found a copy of Dreamgirls at the Makati Cinema Square last night. But before I say my piece about the film I need to do my bamboo rating (tadah!) for a couple of films I saw last weekend.

First is Flags of Our Fathers by Clint Eastwood. The delicious Ryan Philippe stars in the movie. I was quite anticipating for this film because it generally received good reviews. Again, the reviews may have raised my expectations too high because I was not quite pleased with it. All right the cinematography is flawless, so was the direction. I had a problem with the characters though. I just could not empathize with them save for the character of the Native American. However the film is still commendable for its exploration (and questioning) of the concept of heroism and how history is written to advance certain truths. So this movie deserves three and a half bamboos.

I also watched The Good Shepherd, directed by Robert De Niro. Oh well, I was completely satisfied with this one. Matt Damon, an actor that I never really liked (except perhaps in Bourne Identity and Bourne Supremacy), was surprisingly effective as a CIA man trying to grapple with duty and family. Eventually the two mix and he had to make some hard choices. Angelina Jolie is in the film but she hardly left any mark on me. The script is shrewd and practically every other aspect of the film is (cinematography, music, etc.). It runs for 2 hours and forty something minutes but I hardly noticed. Oh by the way, one of my favorite models, Liya Kebede (sp?), has a cameo! She was thrown out of the plane, poor girl. Right now I'm hoping that this gets nominated in the Oscars (announcement tonight!!!) for whatever category. Five bamboos for you!

Okay, let's talk about Dreamgirls. I don't know where to start really. Well, I liked it, (surprise, surprise) but I'm not crazy over it. It's fun to watch, it's a musical of course so it should be. The costumes, make up, and the music (of course) were delightful. Hmmm, the story, what can I say except that I've seen it before. What really lifts the movie is the amazing, amazing songs, which all the actors giving more than justice to them. Yum!

Most of the attention that the film is getting is on Jennifer Hudson who won a Golden Globe for Supporting Actress and is touted as the Oscar frontrunner for the same category this year. One issue that cropped into my mind while watching the film is how come she's considered for the Supporting Actress category when I think her role is bigger than Beyonce. But well, it's the producer's call. But does she really deserve it? If the category is best overacted role, I think she should win. She's practically berserk in the entire film… or maybe it's what the role is calling from her. It's not just my cup of tea though. Between her and Toni Colette (Little Miss Sunshine), I think the latter deserves to win. I'm giving Dreamgirls four bamboos.

Talking about Oscars, the acting categories seem predictable, with Helen Mirren (The Queen) and Forest Whitaker (The Last King of Scotland) expected to win. While it's pretty sure that the amazing Kate Winslet (Little Children) would be nominated, I surely hope she'd win over Mirren. Okay, I'm torn between the two, so bahala na. For Supporting Actress, Jennifer Hudson is predicted to win, but please no! I haven't seen Notes on a Scandal, but Cate Blanchett should win over ANYBODY. I don't care for the Best Supporting Actor category.

Best Picture… I've seen Babel (most over-rated film of the year), The Queen, Little Children, Little Miss Sunshine, Dreamgirls, Flags of Our Fathers, Pan's Labyrinth, and Children of Men, but I am pushing for The Departed.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin