Saturday, August 04, 2007

Forever Lost

Work ends very early here apparently. We come in at 8.30am, have lunch at 12nn until [insert time here, whenever you feel coming back in], and we leave at 4:30pm. So in the afternoon I always have a few hours to spare going around Bangkok before darkness sets in. Yesterday I took a water taxi (13 baht, or around 20 pesos) to the pier nearest the Silom area. The boat ride took about 30 minutes or so and it was an excellent chance to see the Chao Phraya River and its environs up close. I can tell that the water taxis are frequently used by the residents here as the boats are always full, either going upstream or downstream. Add to this the tourists who want to see the river scene of Bangkok.

Found in the route were barges, bridges, markets and pubs cantilevered on the murky water, more piers, canal exits, and some smaller boats that have shorter routes. The roof of a number of wats (temples) and the spires of the Wat Arun (Temple of Dawn) are only some of the more majestic sites along the river, together with towering hotels. My eyes grew large at the sight of two folks using jet skis. Either it’s for fun or as a mode of transport for them (I doubt), it was still beyond my imagination that people would risk contracting some skin disease or something from the river water. In fairness to whoever maintains the Chao Phraya, it is relatively clean, meaning no floating garbage or nasty stink.

After getting off from my destined pier, I hopped on the BTS (skytrain) to reach Silom Road, where Pat Pong is located. The map that I bought indicated in red letters that the Silom area is VERY LIFELY AT NIGHT. Pat Pong is Bangkok’s famous red light district of course, a place that I’ve long been curious about after hearing stories about the supposed hedonism going on in the area. Instead, what I saw were rows and rows of counterfeit goods and souvenirs in the already crammed alley. Squeezed on the fringes were the bars, inside which I had a glimpse of skinny girls with bleached hair, dancing in glow in the dark bikinis. I wonder if those bikinis are sold somewhere. I would love to get one.

On the way back to my building, I hopped on the wrong bus and had to take an expensive cab ride instead. I’m getting lost so often here, I’m starting to doubt my intelligence.

Just before sunset today, I walked to the nearby Wat Benchamabophit (Emerald Temple). It was a very relaxing visit as the chant of the monks reverberated within the temples marble walls. From the temple side, one can cross the small pink footbridges towards the monk’s quarters and a neat garden. The pictures can say what the place is all about.

Wandering home, I got lost again. This is becoming one episode of getting lost after another, no?


2 comments:

insulare said...

wow!
makakad-on sab untana ko diha sa thailand. sum-ol na diri surigao. hehe.

kawadjan said...

hi jun! thanks for dropping by ha. come to bangkok and we can discover it together. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin