Friday, August 10, 2007

Top of Bangkok: Baiyoke Sky Hotel

I just came back from spending a night with two wonderful Thai friends, T and B, who I met in my previous job in Manila. They were attending a training for Southeast Asian teachers in the said office and I had the chance to chat with them. Upon informing them that I was coming to Bangkok, they said that I should contact when them I arrive so they can show me around the city. So just a few hours ago, they treated me to a view of the tallest building in Bangkok (about 84 floors or thereabout), and the 28th in the world. First we had dinner in one of the many restaurants in the building and then we climbed to the top where we had a majestic view of the Bangkok skyline (and beyond) on a revolving viewing deck.

It was a refreshing sight to behold. I was particularly awed at the numerous tall buildings dotting the Silom and Sukhumvit areas, supposedly the Wall Street of Bangkok. Snaking around the city were the SkyTrain lines as well as the wide skyways packed with cars. It was nice to find however that despite the urban sprawl, Bangkok has countless parks and tree-lined avenues.

I was also surprised that I can already find my way around the more familiar landmarks of the city.

To T and B, korp kun krap for the amazing, amazing evening.

Of course, here are the customary pictures:

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin