Thursday, August 09, 2007

I Wander

After work, I again took a long walk around my building's area. I simply allowed my feet to lead me wherever it fancies, going through the old district primarily. I walked for about three hours, but I could not rest until I post these pictures tonight.

I hope you like them.

The tall Buddha statue a few blocks from my house. The spire at the top of its head can actually be seen from my room, especially in the evening when it lights up ala Las Vegas. Notice the detail of its enormous feet, laden with gold leaf.

Details of the temple surrounding the tall Buddha. The bowls and the coins supposedly go together. I saw this done during one of the seasons of The Amazing Race, wherein contestants place the coins in the bowls so their wishes could be granted.

Pra Sumen Fort, one of the few remaining forts that used to protect the area where the Grand Palace is (pretty much a stone's throw away from Khao San Road too). Situated along the banks of the Chao Phraya River, surrounding the fort is a nice park where people do aerobics, play sepak takraw, or just wait for the sun to set.

This is one of the arcs that lead towards the House of the Parliament (I hope I'm not wrong about naming that building). Notice the intricate details. Also note the beautiful lights lining the avenue, reminds me of Christmas in Manila. Those are in preparation for the birthday of the queen, which is also Thailand's Mother's Day. This falls on this coming Monday so it is an official holiday as well.

The Anantasamakhom Throne Hall (the same building that I called as the House of Parliament above). In front of this building is the Rama VI statue, where I found people chanting and lighting incense at its foot. This building (if I remember it right) was commissioned by the King through an Italian architect, hence the more Western appearance of the building. No wonder the face of Medussa (is it?) is found on its gate. So Versace, don't you think? The building is closed to the public. However, I heard that it might be open on certain holidays, so I hope it would be open this Monday.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin