Saturday, December 15, 2007

Dead Air

Last night, PJ and I had the most eerie experience while walking in Khao San Road, Bangkok's backpacking capital. At 11 p.m., the usually rowdy street full of people from all walks of life and from various parts of the globe, was silent. No blasting music from the bars, no drunken revelry, and pretty much the whole street was deserted by Khao San Road standards on a Friday night. Most of the food hawkers and stalls selling clothes even folded their wares much earlier in the evening.

Next week being Thailand's national elections, an alcohol ban was imposed for this weekend and the next. I suppose the relative tranquility we found in Khao San is also reflected in the major party areas such as Silom and Sukhumvit, which is very very rare in Bangkok. PJ and I had to scrap our plan of going to a gay bar tonight and we are opting to have coffee somewhere instead. Such a bummer, don't you think? And to think it's fucking Christmas!

Anyway, to continue the story, PJ and I ended up in a straight bar in the corner of Khao San and Samsen, where we settled for some fruit juice. All the usual characters are there, mostly the backpacker crowd of course. I honestly could not remember the last time I've been in a straight bar. I had no idea how to conduct my self in such places. I panicked when, on a ledge behind me, a petite woman started swinging her hips like she had a colony of termites in her panties. I quickly dragged PJ out of the bar and we decided to call it a night.

***

Two nights ago, the Pranses and I met for some coffee and we were still talking about the wonderful trip to Cambodia. Coffee was followed by watching a film and then some quick dinner. Last night he flew back home for the holidays. It's the start of three agonizing weeks without him. I can't be more sad.

Damn, this is what I'm talking about. All the drama. I can't handle them. But in fairness to my self, I'm relatively doing fine with restraining my self from getting too attached with the Pranses, although this is terribly difficult coz he is such an adorable person. I hope I can keep this act longer.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin