Friday, September 25, 2009

You Had Me on the First Line

My good friend Heidi, the ONE from Cagayan de Oro and not Bangkok, (blog) tagged me in a post about the first lines or sentences of her favorite books.

I really do not have a canon to call my own, which maybe I should get down to listing already for the sake of documentation. For this list I just quickly pulled out the titles of the books that first came to mind. I limit this list to novels coz they're what I mainly read (until about three years ago).

With the help of the internet (mainly Amazon.com), I was able to find the first sentences of some of my favorite books.

Hope these first lines inspire you to read the books further.

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.
- F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

A story has no beginning or end; arbitrarily one chooses that moment of experience from which to look back or from which to look ahead.
- Graham Greene, The End of the Affair

Ten days after the war ended, my sister Laura drove a car off a bridge.
- Margaret Atwood , The Blind Assassin

It was love at first sight.
- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

My name is Kathy H.
- Kazuo Ishiguro, Never Let Me Go

May in Ayemenem is a hot, brooding month.
- Arundhati Roy, The God of Small Things

She hurries from the house, wearing a coat too heavy for the weather.
- Michael Cunningham, The Hours

I'm not tagging anyone. So please feel free to write your own list and share it with us.

** Edit:

Thanks Fuchsiaboy (post) and Lyka Bergen (post) for also sharing with us the first lines of your favorite books.
Mga mareh, sunod na sa uso!!! Dali!!!

Yun lang.

4 comments:

fuchsiaboy said...

God of Small Things is one book I love to re-read again and again.

See my other choices here:

http://fuchsiaboy.blogspot.com/2009/09/start-from-very-beginning.html

Yj said...

This is a story about a man named Eddie and it begins at the end, with Eddie dying in the sun. - by: Mitch Albom The Five People You Meet In Heaven

Lyka Bergen said...

wala pa akong nabasa sa mga favorites mo. kahit isa. ano ba?

kawadjan said...

Donita: Agree. Will find a copy soon para mabasa ulit.

Yj: Mare, expand that post pa.

Lyka: Kaya nga I'm sharing my list hopefully ma-influence kita to read them.

Donita & Lyka: Thanks for writing about your fave books too.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin