Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Last day in Surigao

I'm on my last full day in Surigao. It's another rainy day here; nothing surprising about it. And the neighbors are singing karaoke for all the village to hear. Nothing surprising about that as well. Okay, I'm not going to whine on my last day here.


My sister and brother also visited Surigao a couple of weeks ago. We went to the beach a couple of times and hung out with cousins and other relatives.



And then after Davao, I met some of my closest friends for some catching up on our lives. It always amazes me how much our lives change, in say 10 years. Our expectations from others, as well as from ourselves, are often very different from how they turn out to be. Not that I'm disappointed about my friends' lives... on contrary most of them are happy (as far as I can tell). I guess what I'm saying is that life is just fucking unexpected.

Just yesterday, I unearthed my box of mementoes in which I store old letters, among many other odd bits of papers. When we were in high school, my friends and I sent each other letters and notes. It's a lot of "thank you for being my friend" - you know, high school stuff. It's always reassuring that my friends and I have withstood the test of time and distance (thank you Facebook and email!).

Anyway, so that's all what this trip is all about. Just some much needed time with family and friends, and realizing the value of the people that are constantly in our lives in spite of the changes we all go through.



Now I'm ready to go back to Bangkok because frankly I'm now bored in Surigao... what can one do with all this rain, aber?


1 comment:

N said...

Thank you for being my friend! Really hoping we'll still have time to go over the letters and notes next year.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin