Saturday, May 06, 2006

Divina


I've had some fascination with Maria Callas for some time now so I read up her entry on www.wikipedia.com (one of the most useful and informative websites around). Her life is close to the tragedies she played on the stage. But she was rather infamous for her vanity and "diva" attitude that would pale in comparison to that of Mariah or Barbra even.

Included in that wikipedia article is a collection of her notable statements, to wit:
On Tebaldi: "When she can sing a Walkure and Puritani back to back, then you can compare us. Until then it is like trying to compare Coca Cola to champagne."

"First I lost my voice, then I lost my figure and then I lost Onassis."

"Don't talk to me about rules, dear. Wherever I stay I make the goddamn rules."

"I would not kill my enemies, but I will make them get down on their knees. I will, I can, I must."

"You are born an artist or you are not. And you stay an artist, dear, even if your voice is less of a fireworks. The artist is always there."

"Some say I have a beautiful voice, some say I have not. It is a matter of opinion. All I can say, those who don't like it shouldn't come to hear me."

"My poor sight gives me an advantage. I can't see the people in the audience who are scratching their heads while I am lost in my role and giving everything I have to the drama."

"If I have stepped on some people at times because I am at the top, it couldn't be helped. What should I do if someone gets hurt ... retire?"

She simply tops my list as the diva of all diva... worth emulating for any fag out there.

(photo above is from www.callas.it)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin