Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Faust

I'm beginning to wonder… How strong are my principles?

I've written repeatedly of my abhorrence of television, and the Philippine media not having behaved at its best in the past years. So I was condemning it in some blog entries. For quite some time my sister and I decided not to buy a TV to make a statement against that.

Not until about two weeks ago.

We were walking around the Evangelista thrift shops once again and we saw a used TV and a DVD player. My mouth watered at the thought of all the movies I could watch, especially now that it's Oscar season. God, I'm such a cunt. I can easily sell my principles for a few good movies.

So the TV and the DVD player found their way into our apartment. So far, I've amassed quite a number of DVDs after a trip to lovely Quiapo. I've seen Little Children, Babel, Monsoon Wedding, The Wind that Shakes the Barley, Shortbus, Another (Stupid) Gay Movie, and Little Miss Sunshine. All films were good (more or less) but not necessarily current. I'm looking forward see more Oscar shoo-ins in the coming days.

I've also seen the first two seasons of Queer As Folk. I know I've not been a good bayot for taking this long to catch up on this pivotal show. So now I'm making up for it so my pink card would not be revoked by The Federacion. I'm staying quite a bit late in the evenings watching one episode after another.

Which ultimately means that I've not been reading as much as before. Currently, I have three unfinished books that have taken a back seat since the bloody TV came into the picture.

At least however I'm not selling my entire soul to the devil (yet). I refuse to attach an antenna to the TV so we'd be spared of the godforsaken shows that spill out from the tube. But then I reckon that the Golden Globes and the Oscars and Binibining Pilipinas and Miss Universe are coming in the next few weeks. Add to that the new season of The Amazing Race and Survivor.

Now that's worth considering. Hmmm…

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin