Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Emoterang Frog: V-Day Edition

So it's the love month. Yipeee! Uhm, NOT. God knows I'm not a big fan of Valentine's Day. Last year Lara Stone and I spent Valentine's night having an HIV test; very romantic, indeed.

With less than a week to go, I suppose most people are busy preparing for V-Day. I remember back in Las Islas Filipinas, all the restaurants, hotels, and motels are fully booked on this day. And well, the single people among us might just choose to sulk, or have some sort of single's night.

Well, I'm not exactly single but I don't have anyone to spend V-Day with this year... at least physically. Having been suddenly thrust into a long distance relationship I still have to figure out how to make V-Day special with him, if at all.

This LDR thing has been going on for quite a few months now and it's not as hard as I thought it would be. Thanks to Skype and Black Berry, we manage to keep in touch very regularly. Such electronic communication never equals having him around - oh, far from it - but what choice do we have? There are times when I baaadly feel like touching or hugging him, but I don't lose sleep over it. Those are just passing moments. In general, things are mostly smooth.

I guess our advantage is we built a good foundation during our time together in Bangkok. We really took the time to know each other, to develop trust, and so on. It's quite difficult to describe what exactly that foundation is, but perhaps a large part of it is the confidence that we are mutually working for the relationship.

The thing is, I don't know how to do LDR. I just take it one day at a time. I have friends who have been through long-term LDRs, and I gathered sooo many different approaches from them. I couldn't come up with a framework for LDRs based on the diversity of my friends' experiences. Perhaps there are no formulas? Or perhaps, I just have to do it my own way. It's like going around a forest without a map or compass. One thing though, right from the very start I told my self to relax.

So including this V-Day I'm just going to chill. In fact I've made plans, but not because it's V-Day. It just happens that Lea Salonga is coming to BKK for a Valentine concert, so, of course I'm going to brave the traffic and drag my (now) fat ass to the other side of town. I hope she sings On My Own kase parang bagay ang title sa aking mood. Chowz!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to think that V-Day was the day for losing your virginity. For a while I was determined to give up my innocence to someone on this special occasion. But sadly this didn't happen until I finally met this person with whom I can spend almost every day of my life.

Was Once said...

When you have any hints of jealousy, just remember you don't own anyone. If it is meant to happen it will, and all things change in time...one way or another.

So for right now, I would still send a small gift or a card and mention some of his positive qualities. And go to town with your friends, if he is not there.

Franco Dionco said...

We need to talk. Chowz! Hahaha!!!

Can't wait for the next sharing of chikas..

Don't worry, hndi ka nag-iisa.

rashidsmom said...

if you don't have a framework for LDR's yet then we need to brainstorm asap. Whip out the meta cards dahling :)

Nora B. Peevy said...

I met my second, current, husband on a pet forum. We lived 1500 miles away from each other. We were friends and chatted online for over a year before we even met in person. We've been together ever since. The key to long distance relationships is that you have to want to be with that person even if they're not physically with you. If they are right for you, then you won't stray and look elsewhere. If your connection is strong enough, it can work. However, I'd be lying to say it wasn't hard at times.

-Nora
http://norabpeevy.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin